thefictionconniption

The Fiction Conniption

Proud book geek and YA enthusiast. Can also find me at my other book blog home www.tyngasreviews.com

Insomnia
Carrie Ryan
Unravel Me

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Crewel -

In Crewel, every single thing in this world that see, hear, and even think is part of one massive weave. Most people never even notice the weave, but there are women called Spinsters who are able to see and manipulate it. They are recruited by the Coventry and assigned tasks based on their skills. Most are thrilled to become Spinsters, as it comes with fancy clothes and social gatherings.

Some, like Adelice, are forced to use their skills to help the Coventry because they are being blackmailed. Adelice's entire family is destroyed when she is taken in by the Coventry, and they use what remains of her loved ones to manipulate her into doing their bidding.

There was something about this world that I just couldn't grasp. It was such a cool concept - the idea that everything and everyone and every thought are all part of one big cosmic weave, and that women called Spinsters are the ones trusted to weave this fabric and maintain it. But on the other side, it just kept giving me that "Am I in the Matrix?" feeling.

Try as I might, my measly brain just couldn't picture how that would work. How can they be weaving from within the weave? Who is weaving them? Who created the weave?

All these sort of existential questions kept getting in the way and distracting me while reading. I didn't feel like the world-building required to pull off a story line such as that really came through.

That said, aside from the actual mechanics of the world itself, I really enjoyed reading Crewel. I've been salivating over the cover since it first came out, and the premise of the book is so original. That fact alone kept me going, as the pacing on this one wasn't quite as heart-racing as I prefer. It was like taking a steady jog (ha! as if I've ever jogged in my LIFE) - it was enough to keep me going, but nothing that really made me want to glue my face to the book so I could carry it with me everywhere I went.

The romance had a slight twinge of insta-love, not too bad, but it was definitely there. This one is the very definition of a vague sort of liked but didn't love sort of book. I felt as though the motivations of the main character were very clear, and I sympathized with her as she dealt with the pain of losing her family, but beyond that surface level connection,

I never felt truly invested in Adelice. I was interested to see how her story would turn out, but there were many times I thought I could have put this one down mid-read and walked away without feeling like I was going to miss much. It was a decent read, but I probably won't be going for the second one in this series.