thefictionconniption

The Fiction Conniption

Proud book geek and YA enthusiast. Can also find me at my other book blog home www.tyngasreviews.com

Insomnia
J.R. Johansson
Requiem
Lauren Oliver
The Dead-Tossed Waves
Carrie Ryan
Unravel Me

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy Series #1)

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy Series #1) - More reviews at http://www.thefictionconniption.com---Aside from the Sookie Stackhouse series, this was my first experience with reading a book centering around faeries. At first, I really did enjoy the character of Evie - she's a kickass girl going out and 'tagging' paranormals so that the government can keep track of them and prevent them from hurting any humans. Vampires get ankle bracelets monitors set to inject them with holy water if they ingest any human blood, werewolves get monitors set to automatically inject them with sedatives to put them to sleep for the duration of the full moon, and so on. It was a cool concept, and an interesting view into how a government might go about trying to deal with paranormal creatures. The plot was decent, this definitely hovered much more towards the 'young' generation of young adult novels. However, ultimately, Evie actually ended up ruining this book for me. She was immature, dramatic, and self-centered. When everything was crashing down around her, she was just like, "nah, it's fine. You guys handle it, I wouldn't want to miss my show." That's just not a personality I can really root for, and so in that moment when it mattered most, I was really upset with Evie. There was lots of this happening right around that time: When I finished the book, I did feel like Evie had redeemed herself slightly, but I was still never emotionally invested in the plot. Overall, this one just sort of left me feeling irritated and disappointed. Will I be continuing on with this series? Doubt it.